Thursday 5 August 2010

Tribute to the desk...

At the shop where I conduct the odd workshop, there's a big old table. It's sturdy and chunky and over the years it's seen endless cards, projects, products and oh my, if it had ears! As lots of us are WOYWWing regularly (and if you're not, that's OK, by the way - it's only for fun) - we've come to love looking at what's on the surface and rarely do we refer to it as anything but a desk...except maybe Helen, who works on her floor - kneeling all the time (she is actually Elasticgirl from the Incredibles, and blood flow isn't an issue...). We have literally seen big spaces and little spaces and storage has become the second hobby of every crafter, no doubt. The table at Craft Krazy is no exception except that it's big enough to seat nine (9), count them, NINE people to craft. So you won't be surprised to know that this late entry WOYWW is from Shopkeeper Gal, of that very desk. She and The Colonial had a craft session. Impressive for an afternoon, impressive that she can make time, the shop is so busy. Most impressive of all though dear Interweb, is that when I get there this morning to set out today's Summer Brights card workshop, it will be clean and tidy and you will never know that this happened. It's all about motivation!
I love that - especially that they had the presence of mind not to sit on opposite sides of the desk...they'd have lost sight of each other! Viva the work desk!!

21 comments:

Carmen said...

WOW! Motivation indeed! Looks like a brilliant time was had.

Karen said...

hehe now that looks like a fun desk!!! X

Maggie's Crafts said...

It's definitely a fun desk! :)

mckinkle said...

That really is one BIG desk! Oh and as you say, the secrets it could share!

Hope you enjoy your demo today!

What a great day it was yesterday Julia, its almost as important how I decide who to visit each week but yesterday was in blocks of 5, every other of course!

Keryn x

Annie said...

Would really love to hear the tales that table could tell. Can just imaging the tea/coffee and biscuits that have been shared over it too :-) I really enjoyed yesterday. Thank you so much for keeping it all going.
A x

Cardarian said...

Nice that someone actually pays a tribute to a desk! Exept for Helen (who does crafting on the floor)desks are essential to our work! And you are talking about a big desk if it can take 9 people crafting! It deserves all the praise!
Hugs,
Cardarian

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Would love to sit there!

Hugs
Maarit

Unknown said...

Hi Julia, LOL the 'caulator with Visa card sticking out' is my Barclays 'pin Sentry' which allows me to log on and check my balance - needed to make sure the stash hadn't bankrupted me LOL xxx Rach xxx

Kaz said...

I would love to go and have a rummage through that desk! Enjoy your workshop xx

Phree said...

Great post! Oh the stories that table could tell, perhaps, on certain nights of the year when the moon is full, if look closely you can read those stories in the ink stains! Oops sorry, getting a bit carried away there as I am in Hallowe'en mode today!

Foil Play said...

Wow, lots to rummage amongst there - even more impressive that it will be clear again today :-D

Helen said...

What a lovely BIG desk.... oh, how I dream of a desk to sit at, lol. Yes, it's me who works on the floor, but Julia, I never said blood flow wasn't an issue, you know!!! Sometimes I can hardly stand when I try and get up, lol. However, if you could see the state of my "diningroom table" you would understand the need to work on the floor, (its covered in books that don't fit in the bookcases) and you HAVE seen the table that was meant to be for crafting, but is covered in computer equipment instead.

Bluefairy4U said...

Wow what a lovely desk and so much can be put on it and you will still be able to find it ha ha. Thanks for sharing with us. Lots of love Jo. xxxx

peggy gatto said...

Looks familiar!!!

Lizzybobs said...

oooo lots going on there thanks for sharing ;o)

Darcy Marshall said...

9!!! seriously, how do you get 9 round that table? I feel bad for my desk, it has never had anybody work at it but me, it must feel so left out and unloved...maybe it doesn't feel like a real desk, but feels 'wooden' instead...I shall contact the desk fairy at once.

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

It's great to craft in company. The summer brights cards workshop sounds lovely and, well, summery
Anne xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can only imagine what a table that holds nine would look like. And it's wonderful that you can actually teach and demo cards there. I had to laugh because for you, it is always about the desk! Love that about you, dear friend.

Paperfanatic said...

Mess glorious mess1

peggy aplSEEDS said...

wow, that is a BIG desk! it must be fun to have all that space and craft together.

Lyn said...

Now, that's what I call a desk, and more importantly, a desk with a history. Even more impressively is the the fact it is tidy the following day - as my Grandma used to say - a place for everything and everything in its place!

Which may go some way to explaining some of my OCD .......