Sunday 15 August 2010

I was a punter...


..at a workshop at my local store where sometimes I conduct workshops. This idea of me sitting at the desk doing the stuff is relatively new to me and I can't tell you how much I enjoy it. I now understand that the work I put in is so worth it - to cut things to size and generally make the tedium of the construction part of the card easier means the pleasure of just having everything there and ready in front of you is huge. If you ask me. And as you're still reading, you might as well have asked.

So this week it's been the turn of Mrs Precision to conduct a class showing us 4 techniques for effectively using Cosmic Shimmer products. What a cracking good workshop it was. Fabulous samples, great ideas, wonderful, precise and considered preparation and bags of help and patience for those who wanted it. Loved it. And even with pants photography, you can tell from my cards that I spritzed, sprayed and powdered with abandon.


There's a technique here that I've never tried which instantly doubles the value of a workshop for me. I had to leave early, but hey, no regrets. And plans to buy yet more bottles. Once I've washed lime green out of my frock
- the DCM Challenge card caused spritzing and swearing this week!! See the phtography is squffy because I was trying to be arty and show you the shimmer effect of the Cosmic Shimmer products. But you'll have to take my word for it - the mica is gorgeous!

19 comments:

misteejay said...

I love taking part in classes just as a bit of escapism sometimes - it is always a bonus if you pick up a tip or two.

Isn't it hard getting a good pic of shiny shimmery stuff.

Toni :o)

Paige said...

Beautiful Cards Juila!!! I love a workshop when you learn something new that you just know you will use over and over again! I haven't been about blogland lately (or my craft desk to ben honest) hopefully a new job in the near future will change all that and I'll be back more often :)

Kay said...

Love the cards Julia. Trying to capture shimmer in pics is a bugger, I agree, but I bet they look amazing in person.
I love workshops too, as you say, having everything cut to size and all the prep done is a huge part of the experience.

jodpea said...

That tree is gorgeous, I assume its a stamp? If its any consolation, the angle of my laptop screen means i'm not even sure what colour they are but I could tell they were shimmery b4 I read the text!

mckinkle said...

Stunning makes Julia, its good to add new strings to our bows and Cosmic Shimmers definitely appeals to me too!
Good luck with the removal of said shimmer!

Keryn x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never taken a workshop in my life, at least not one that wasn't attached to university credit. These are lovely cards, though and I suspect you learned a lot in the class. I also feel comradery is part of the joy of taking one of these workshops. I am really addicted to any of those mica paints, regardless the brand name.

Lyn said...

I would love to attend a workshop, especially if I end up with stunning cards like those. I love the branch stamping of the same tree as the background. Ooooooo, shimmer! I like shimmer, I do!

Helen said...

Lovely cards, sure the colours are fab,but know what you mean re taking pics of shimmer or metal!!

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Let us know if you get the lime green out 'cos I'm always on the lookout for stuff to use on fabric.
Love the cards Julia and nice to know you're getting rather addicted to the messy inky stuff ;-)
Anne xx

angelwhispers said...

Beautiful cards Julia!!

I love going to classes even if's it just to meet the girls for a good old chat and the learn techniques as well it has to be worth while!! Love Chanelle xx

Darcy Marshall said...

oo very nice, and I agree kits are fabulous, you just get to enjoy the creative bits without having to endure the boring bits lol

I am not a huge bling person but i do love me a bit of a shimmer!

Pam said...

Fab cards hon. I love going to classes, I don't always learn anthing new (and sometimes dont like what we do!) but love the fact I'm in a room with people who love paper, glue n tape just like me!!! Hugs Pam

PS new student is Swiss, love him already but that could be the huge quantity of swiss chocolate he just gave me !!!!!!

Kaz said...

Glad you got to sit on the other side of the table this week. I love the cards you made too xx

cheryl said...

oh wow hun these are gorgoues,love the effects,you have created,hugs cheryl xxx

Sew This N That said...

wow what a beautiful effect Julia :0)
*hugs* Heather x

Rosie said...

Really gorgeous! That's what I'd like to do - actually attend a class instead of teaching them, especially where it involves products I haven't tried yet ...

Chrissie said...

Bad day today, I've started this comment 3 times and each time when trying to edit a typo, have obliterated the lot!
The general gist of what I was saying, was that I could do with lessons on using Cosmic whatsits. I think a polite way of putting it might be that I am a trifle heavy handed!
Let me know the next time you do a session!
Your cards are fabby.
Chrissie

Unknown said...

beautiful card Julia. Love the technique - one which I've not tried yet - but then again - there are loads of those.

Paula x x x

Aisling said...

Wow, I definitely should try these cosmic shimmer products, for your creations are so beautiful! And they are in my favourite colours, purple and silver.