Tuesday 6 July 2010

A typical summer's day

We Dunnits are on holiday this week. That is to say that Mr Dunnit and myself are not going to work (well, OK, we did go in for a couple of hours yesterday and he's 'popping' in this morning) and Miss Dunnit finished College last week and has taken to her bed, basically. So this morning, a beautiful summer day again here on the Hampshire Wiltshire border, I languished in bed, revelling in the empty day ahead. I was awake because Mr Dunnit has not quite shaken the habit of setting the alarm. For 6am. Oh well, at least I didn't have to get up straight away. He and her have to go out this morning (and they HAVE to...I have a birthday in a minute and you can imagine the carnage if it's about two last minuters who failed rather than about me), I decided that I'd spend the morning at my workdesk, playing and producing and getting a bit of a fix. Well, it's nearly 10 o'clock and I'm blogging. Dear interweb, you are this morning's avoidance technique. My desk is piled high with stuff and I can't quite face it. A tax return waiting to be done, mount paperwork - which I have tackled but is now awaiting filing, 2 presents awaiting wrapping, and a huge pile of A5 brown envelopes. All this on top of the craft stuff I wanna be playing with. That's holidays for ya. Turn your back for five minutes and there's a bunch of stuff to be done. We spent yesterday (post-work) schlepping around town visiting the bank, building society and solicitor. It took ages. Gah. And of course, there's the domestic stuff that seems to accumulate so much more quickly when we're all at home. I could have hoovered the lounge twice yesterday. I didn't of course. I made Miss Dunnit do it - once - her daily exercise! Oh and how much washing up can the three of us generate? I'm not used to them being home really - and certainly not if they use a different mug or glass each time they need or want a drink. I'm thinking of putting a lock on the kitchen door. Then I won't have to go to a supermarket during my holiday either! On the bright side - Mr Dunnit is a huge believer in lunch out and not doing anything we don't want to; staying at home can be difficult for a holiday; lucky for us he's got shapes to design for the Bol**cks machine, so we aren't in each other's pockets. Today's exercise will be a walk around the poppy fields and the white horse in the vale of Pewsey after visiting the recycling centre. Of such stuff are holidays made! Here endeth Tuesday's whinge.

19 comments:

Diane said...

Your house sounds spookily like mine! My little Miss is off college now and exams are (finally) finished for her and DS. I have been trying to work to a background of her playing the keyboard and singing at the top of her voice...must apologise to next door! I an never work out where all the washing comes from either!
Have a lovely day..

Annie said...

Have I read this right? Are you saying this is your Birthday? If so, wahoooooo, hope it's a great one. Have a really great holiday doing all the things you want to do :-)
Hugs,
A x

Jan Hennings said...

super cute card!

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Julia, winge away all you like... we are all entitled to once in a while.. did I get the idea it is YOUR birthday today and if so Happy Birthday , if not whose is it?
Have a good day.. mind you the cloud has covered the sun here..but not cold yet!
Hugs x

Kaz said...

Ha fab post!! I'm always surprised at how much washing up I make on my own.
Enjoy your week away from work xxx

Kate said...

OOOH i heard mention of shapes and the Bol**cks machine and im a bit excited lol. Would that be anything to do with an earlier post???
Enjoy the rest of your time off :0)
Kate x

Helen said...

I hope you enjoy your week off - I sometimes find that a week "off" at home is not a week "off" at all!! But it is nice waking to the alarm and knowing you can lie there, not having to leap out of bed! Good luck with keeping your folks using only one cup - ha!!

How did the fete go on Saturday? And when you say you have a birthday in a "minute" how soon is the minute?

Scrapcat 1 said...

Lunch out sounds fun and extra glasses are what dishwashers are for!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sounds like the "perfect" holiday: taxes, solicitors, sleeping till 6 am, having six times more glasses dirty than humans, gifts to be made and sent. What more could one ask for? Well, a bit of ME time and maybe a few artful pieces of art fodder salvaged from your recycle center.

Did I read correctly that it's your birthday? Happy, happy, happy to you! That would be birthday 35, wouldn't it?

Patrice said...

Sounds like the perfect way to spend your holiday to me! Enjoy it. Love your little card too, nice and bright and cheery.

donnalouiserodgers said...

Julia I have two home for the summer - my ironing pile reached the seven foot mark yesterday...
and I no longer weekly shop - it goes in a day - I purchase for each meal...

they stay up all night and sleep all day and make strange noises if you ask them to DO anything, actually they just make strange noises...I cannot recall my late teens/early twenties being so easy...

Karen said...

hee hee you do make me smile my lovely!!! We don't have holidays at home as we can only snatch the odd weekend, when we always go away as we live over the office :( But I am lucky too in that my hubby likes eating out!!!

Enjoy your lie ins XXX

kelly said...

Sounds good to me! Rather that than work! Hope you continue to enjoy your holidayx

Pam said...

Birthday? If I heard correct hope you had/have a fab day. Hannah is now at home and if it wasn't for Darrens daily note with a list of chores she wiuld be sat watching tv or reading all day, as it is I notice when I get home from work she seems to be a whirlwind of activity that means that the chores were started as she sees me drive past the front of the house at 3!!!!! see u when I get back Pa
X

Anonymous said...

Birthday?! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULIA!!!! xox

Angie said...

Had to laugh about the alarm ...I used to leave the alarm to go off as normal because turning over and going back to sleep was the holiday treat.
Is it really a year since we were wishing you Happy birthday ??? If we have read you correctly ... Happy 21st ...again xx

Tracey said...

Holiday, that sounds like mayhem but I bet you love it really. Ummm are you the birthday girl?? If so hope your have a lovely day.

Good luck with all the domestic stuff and have a fantastic week away from the workplace.

Tracey

Sue said...

Hi Julia
great poat made me laugh as usual, hope you both enjoy your week off playing, & relaxing,dont do to much domestic stuff its bad for you, lunch out is always good saves on washing up, saving water!! sue,x

MiamiKel said...

Great post, Julia! You are inspiring more than you know!!

Hugs to,you, luv!
Kelly #14