Saturday 1 May 2010

May have potential.....


The thing I like about May is all the potential that you see around you - nature's got it all together, the little ducks and birds have arrived and are doing the learning thing and May provides for them in abundance. Sunshine and showers. We, apparently awoken from dark days and long nights suddenly turn into market gardeners and get out onto the land. In my case, to cut edges and keep tidy. I am not a creative gardener. It is a month full of promise in my mind -good or bad, you get a taste of weather to come. Last nights terrific downpour has yielded a lovely start to May this morning - and look at my beautiful peony - a mass of buds and that can only mean potential fabulousness - every year this plant astonisehd me. I genuinely yearn for a bit more of an outdoorsy lifestyle and make an effort to enjoy slower evenings. It doesn't last, sadly. Until the day we manage to install a tv on the patio, I'm not sure my lovelies will ever want to spend the evening at home outside surounded my candles and bugs. Only on holiday, in a country where the language is spoken too fast for comprehension will the tv be ignored.

May is a busy month for this household, exams and real life also start to emerge for one of us. (There is the danger of my return to work this month. Ouch.) On a brighter note though - the bloody dawn chorus will subside. Ah, welcome, May!


13 comments:

Ann said...

Hi Julia,
Lovely post. Does the 'bloody dawn chorus' subside or does it just happen earlier and you're still asleep?!
We are regularly woken in the Spring at 5.00am by the seagulls squalking!

CoventryAnn said...

You photo makes me want to go out into the garden and look at my 'potentially fabulous' peony too! Have a good day.

Angie said...

I have never seen pointy buds ...only round ones. In my garden I would love to see any buds ... any shape .. but after only one plant surviving out of three and in 4 years not a bud in site ...I think it is not to be.

Sue said...

Hi Julia
great post made me smile, the dawn chorus is lovely but really think it should be done later!! Afternoon chorus would be nice! lol. Have great weekend, sue.x

Jane said...

Wow can't wait to see those blooms open!

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

I so love peonies :) How long have you been off work then Julia? Have a fab weekend ;)
Anne x

Anonymous said...

We fitted the camping TV in the back garden so our neighbour could watch the tennis and wimbledon as well, so it is possible for your loveleys too!!! lady N

Kathy said...

You're right, May is an month full of optimism and promise. Throw the windows wide open and let the sunshine flood in.....well, if we're lucky ;-)

Annie said...

Hehe You do make me smile Julia. I'm a morning person who loves birds so am happily woken by the dawn chorus every morning..what ever the time :-)
I do really love this time of year. Our peony is also coming into bud with an ever increased numbers of blooms every year. I love it.
Have a happy holiday weekend.
A x
ps I'm dumfing more poppies today so am a really happy bunny :-)

Alisonw30 said...

We have just had our garden re turfed and the borders dug out this week. Have been pressure washing the patio today, covered from head to foot in bits of moss, not a good look! Kept me from card making completely today. Oh well ;-)

Darcy Marshall said...

I'd quite like an afternoon chorus, they start far too early for my liking. As I am a night owl, they are often just starting to sing when I am going to bed around 3ish...but apparently it is all our own fault, later nights for humans combined with street lights and traffic have confused the birds into thinking its time to get up. I am told they sing later in the countryside where it is darker!

Unknown said...

I love this time of year when everything wakes up and the birdsare constantly singing. I think I musthave been a hedgehog or some other hibenator in a past life!

Lynne said...

I love peonies too. Your is going to be fabulous show, when it opens. What kind is it? Mine has no buds yet... round when they arrive.

You May journal looks great all preped ready.