Sunday 2 August 2009

Technically it's still July...

Gosh, I've been so immersed in other stuff that August has crept up on me and I'm not ready! That is to say that I haven't done the calendar LO; so in my house it's still JUly. And there you were probably thinking that I did 12 months of calendar LOs all at once - yeah right, I'd love to give you that impression, but I'll have blown it within a week, so no point really! Yesterday was crop day for me. Cricut Queen did us a fab 'lesson session' on the paper flowers - go look, they are really fab, and now I have a beautiful anenome to grace a LO..but like all new things, it may be awhile before I can actually use it! I did this LO yesterday, but haven't journalled it yet. Am pleased with the photos and know that my sainted Mother might well like to own the page (the guests were after all, her guests at her Golden Wedding Anniversary party). SO I'll talk to her first..she can have the page to add to the album that I know she's started, or she can have copies of the pics. Isn't digital photography too marvellous, how much more sharing people have become with their pictures since we didn't have to fiddle about with negs and processing!

I was telling the crop-ettes that I have been totally and overwhelmingly inspired by the Scrapbook Trends magazine. I've only got July and August editions, but no matter, these could probably serve as inspiration for the rest of the year. I don't know why particularly, because work of the calibre to be found in its pages can be found elsewhere (have any of you heard of Helen Miles?), but something speaks to me. Maybe it's the total package - I mean, a square magazine. Love it! I've noticed a couple of things (!) about it though and I know Mary Ann over at UK Scrappers was discussing this phenomenon recently - its all about the single page LO. The other thing that has struck me and is indeed inspiring me is the number of LOs that have a plain base paper. I know things come around and go around, but say six years ago when I discovered scrap booking, it was pretty much the way I started (sort of CM style I guess). Right now it's really helping me though, I feel much braver about mixing my palette (I'm off again, getting all arty, love) and the uber patterend papers that I love and am utterly terrified of using are actually making an appearance on some of my pages. Stash shelves are heaving a sigh of relief as long-stored papers are removed for use! Have I missed this as a basic start point for most LOs featuring patterns; is it indeed, a basic design principle? Probably both. But at least I've got it now. For now, until I find something else that I don't seem to do but which everyone else has been doing for yonks. Born to be a follower, me. As for August...hmm. Maybe the Dunnit house will start August tomorrow. Because right now I have to go to the garden centre and pay my lovelies some July like attention.

9 comments:

Carmen said...

I wish it was still July - it's zipping by way to fast.

I'm so behind the times, I've always started with a plain base card... though it may end up covered in paint *g* I'm way to scared to use a whole patterned sheet as a base ;)I love digital photography. I'm such a bad photo taker I used to waste so much money on my film cameras. I used to only get about 3 or 4 decent piccies :)

Angie said...

Like everything else,scrapping goes round in circles. When I did some Travel Albums for a friend, 4 years ago, I often used 3+ photos on a page but I never saw anyone in mags use more than 2...usually just 1. Slowly I have trained myself to use 1-3 and now every one is doing multi photo LO's!!!!. We really should do what we like, when we like.

A square mag ...that sounds fun ...is it 12x12?

Carmen said...

Ohhh Julia thank you for commenting on my lovely, clean, gentle hands :D Devon was actually the camera girl in that one. But thank you for making me genuinely lough out loud there :P

And really, truly thank you for your lovely comments again today. I'll get a big head if you carry on.

rainbow_poppy said...

Lovely layout, nice colours too

Anne said...

When I started, I nearly always used a 12x12 patterned paper as a base, whereas now I tend to use a plain base and stick papers on it, layered up. Does that mean I'm with it, or against the trend?! Lol - can't work it out!

I started with loads of photos on every page, and the went through a phase of single photo layouts. I'm starting to head back to multi photo though.

I also swore it would be layouts all the way, and that mini books were not my thing. But now, I just want to make mini books, and am even considering whether I NEED a bind it all!

voodoo vixen said...

I only got round to cahnging the months on the calendars today too! See, time just whizzes by and its hard to keep up!!

jay670120 said...

i'm not good at flipping calendars over !
August crikey its scary 'soon be christmas lol'
lovely l/o x

Lyn said...

And, I am very likely to smack the next person that says "and we're nearer to Christmas now" .... even if I have started to plan my christmas cards, cos every year I promise myself I won't leave it until the last minute. Again.

Gotta LOVE digital photography!

Anonymous said...

Ooh looks like you used the scrummy K&Co. Que Sera Sera papers which I am just addicted to using at the moment......