Saturday 15 August 2009

Colour Therapy

I mentioned my new Copic collection some time this week. I think I've had them a fortnight now, and so decided that today will be the day to really talk about them. Because as you can see, I didn't just buy one or two, and I didn't stop at a handful, either. There's a very distinct and identifiable psychological 'thing' involved in this (and many other) purchases. Now, you need to understand that it isn't snobbery, prejudice or arrogance, but oh, I can't bear jumble sales or more generally, shop Sales. I loathe the overstuffed displays, racks and aptly named 'dump bins' and I hate having to work hard to find the bargain. Also, I'm not patient at making choices when it comes to a product that I'm going to have more than one of - ink pads for example, and the case in point - pens. I blew all, every penny of my birthday money and workshop 'fees' for a month to buy this set of Copics. Because I just could not face choosing the first, say, ten. I just didn't know where to start. So I didn't. Shopkeeper gal saw me losing the will to live and suggested I took every third colour as a really fine introduction. It was she who pored over the colour list and made recommendations. It was me that stood in front of the monumentally beautiful, organised, colour graduated display and ignored everything she said until I heard the magic sentence -" you could buy the whole lot in two separate sets". So I've got set A. I do like them very much and I'm learning the best use of them, but I think rather grandly and ultimately - the best thing to do is colour with them. I have gone to the trouble of sorting them into the colour groups (as indicated on each pen in a letters/number reference system). This has made a lot of sense when looking for the blendables and of course, when you're trying to remember the colour wheel rules. Other than that..hmmm.. I'm storing them lying down - then the ink won't be favouring one end or the other (but that just may be delusional!). I've barely used the chisel tips but I like that they're there. I doubt if my conscience will let me use any other colouring medium for a while, so if it's cards you like to see on this blog, brace yourself, I think there's going to be a lot of colouring in. How else will my conscience let me clear another set of pens into stash history? That's the thing about me and birthday money, it just bought me more guilt. The gift that keeps on giving!

13 comments:

VickiA said...

More and more you sound like me. I find it so hard to just buy a couple of anything when there is a whole set to be had. I always feel guilty but am able to get over it quickly. No point dwelling on it I say!

Unknown said...

I can never ever buy just one. Your pens look fab. I have ProMarkers but need more!

Unknown said...

I can never buy just one either ... OH bought me the entire set of Pro Markers for my birthday ... I told them they only came in the one set...When I told him they were a hundred and fifty quid ... he nearly fainted ... still has n't gotten over the fact that he spent that much on "a pack of felt tips" That man has no idea!
Thanks for the perfect 10 by the way ... I may just quote it on my epitaph :0)

Chrissie said...

One couldn't fail to be impressed!
There's an award waiting for you on my blog!
Chrissie

Carmen said...

Blimey I'm impressed. I've been talking to my sis about these pens and apparantly they are a designers dream - everyone on her course wants them but can't afford them. Will have to see if I can find them in a local shop so I can see them in action.

Ann said...

Wow! Lucky you. I cannot justify the expense but in your case just say, 'I need them for workshops' and that's the guilt gone! Hopefully.
Can't wait to see some examples with the pens.

Lol said...

OMG were we separated at birth? I am just the same when it comes to sales, car boot sales and the like, I would rather stick a needle in my eye!
And I have to everything now, no waiting for stuff, trouble lack of money usually gets in the way of that!

Hugs Lol xxx

Angie said...

I dont know what it is but I want those pens ...

Do I need them? NO ... Do I have loads of other pens that do every job under the sun ... YES. Do I make good use of the ones I have ...NO ....

BUT I WANT THEM.

Anne said...

Stuff the guilt! It's birthday money - it's meant to be spent on something frivolous. And besides, I feel exactly the same as you do about sales. I just can never face them. It's like the madness of the Next sale. Yes, I know there are lots of bargains. But do I care enough to get up at 5am, queue for hours, and then face the rugby scrum of trying to get something that I like, in my size, that I'm not going to realise within ten minutes of leaving the shop that I'm never going to wear? No. So, like you, I just don't do sales and buying things in bits and pieces. One or two (or three) big blow outs (that goes for clothes and crafts!) a year, and generally that's my lot.

I'm looking forward to seeing the colouring. I don't have any copics or promarkers, just a cheapo set of whispers pens. I can't colour. Really - I remember coming second in a colouring competition when I was about 8. First prize was a family holiday. Second prize was a cuddly dog. The dog was nice and everything... but... it wasn't a holiday. I was, and remain, convinced that it was the SKY which stopped me from winning that holiday. Mine was all done in one blue pen, and you could see the colouring lines. The little girl who came first had done hers with lots of beautiful shading and everything.

Not that I'm still bitter about it, of course!

I will be watching your colouring and listening out for your tips! Maybe there is hope for me yet.

Ayesha said...

ohhhh how i wish i could buy some stash right now well soon i hope the pen colours draw me in its like there telling me you need me you want me come on and buy me(im singing a lil tune right now can you feel it hehe) hope your well xxx

Kit said...

Hey Julia, wow lucky you, this is something that one day I will eventually buy, but for now my Promarkers will have to do, however the copics do have more shades of pink :o(
I know exactly what you mean when you talk about sales, I hate them and like you I cannot deal with the trudging through sales rails and I am the same when it comes to buying pens and paper online, I spend hours putting things in my basket and then taking them out and then back in and so on, so I know exactly where you are coming from.

lastly, I have something for you on my blog, hope you dont already have it.

Lyn said...

Now, whilst if I'm in the mood, I do love a good rummage and especially a bargain. However, you are also talking to a confirmed OCD-er who likes everything to match ........ they look fabulous, Jules, and I can't wait to see your creations!

Queenie Jeannie said...

I know this is a very old post...found it via the linky thing-a-ma-bob! Did you wind up buying Set B? That's how I started, buying both sets in Ciaos, and then slowly filling in with the Sketch until I had them ALL! Because really, having it all is the only way to go, lol!

I wanted to mention that I labeled the caps of my Ciaos with a small circle sticker, and wrote in the color #. It was too frustrating finding the correct color otherwise for me.